Greek English
Home Page / What to know / History
Print this page

Dymes is a small village in the mountainous region of Limassol and is at the heart of the "Pitsilia" region, between the villages of Kyperounta, Pelendri and Agros, at a distance of 59 kilometres from Nicosia and 40 kilometres from Limassol.

Dymes are built at an average altitude of 960 meters above the sea level and receive an average annual rainfall of about 750 millimetres. Mainly vines for winemaking varieties, vegetables, and fruit-trees are cultivated in the village's region. The village of Dymes is known for its apple production, which is ranked amongst the best varieties of Cyprus. A few olive, carob, almond, and walnut trees are also cultivated.

The village has gone through great fluctuations of its population. Its inhabitants in 1881 were 102, increasing to 131 in 1891, to 154 in 1901, and to 177 in 1911. In 1921 they decreased to 167, then increasing to 184 in 1931, to 321 in 1946, to 373 in 1960, and to 391 in 1973. However, afterwards the population started presenting a continuous decrease and as a result the inhabitants in 1976 were 347 and decreased to 230 in 1982. In the 2001 census the inhabitants were 164.

The villages is included in the Plans for Uniform Agricultural Development of Pitsilia and has benefited from them through the improvement of rural roads, the construction of land reclamation projects, the excavation of a (water) drilling, and the expansion of irrigation to 176 "skales" (plural, 14400 sq. ft.) in the north of the village.

The traditional houses, the ascending roads, the irregular terrain, the vine-arbours, the small yards with the tall fences, the tiled and tin roofs of the houses, and the picturesque upper-floors compose the basic image of the village. The houses, most of them made with local stone, are -to a great degree -in harmony with the natural environment.

The village's church, dedicated to John the Baptist, was built in 1861. Some researcher mentions that he saw in this church an icon of the Blessed Virgin Mary that he dated back to the 17 th century and it was said to him that it came from a ruined country church in the region.

Education started in the village in 1863 with the priest Nicolas Ioannou as a teacher, giving lessons in his    HOME and receiving aid from the children in the cultivation of his estates and in pasturage as a reward.

Later on the children attended a private school -in the neighbouring village of Potamitissa -until 1887 when the first regular community school operated at the village of Dymes.

It is believed that Dymes took their name from the ancient city of Achaia -Dymi -   HOME of Kifeas, one of the leaders of the first Greek colonists that settled in Cyprus around 1200 BC.

January 2021
P.O. 72, 4873 Dymes
Tel.: 25522446
Fax: 25522447
e-mail: [email protected]
Designed & Developed by NETinfo Plc